From Policies to Jobs
The PHAI are delighted to welcome Prof Wolfgang Feist, founder of the Passive House Institute, as keynote speaker at this year’s annual Irish Passive House Conference, “See The Light”, held on Friday 25 October 2013 at DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology) – Bolton Street.
Prof Feist is leading Passive House (PH) research in Innsbruck University and rarely visits Ireland to meet with the PH community here.
Register and Book Tickets – Closed
- PHAI and RIAI Members: €95
- Early bird for non-members: €115 (extended to 21 October after which €145)
- Unwaged and (non DIT) Students: €60
- DIT Staff (with meal) €70
- DIT Staff (without meal) €50
- DIT Students €10
Map and Parking
See this map for A) Parnell Parking, King’s Inn Street and the short walk to B) DIT, Bolton Street.
Note that parking is €2 per hour and €6 max for the day, subject to getting the ticket validated at DIT Bolton Street.
08.15 Registration / coffee
10.05 PechaKucha: 5 x 7 min Presentations on Projects
Chair Martin Murray
- Paul McAlister, McAlister Architects | Centre for Renewable Energy & Sustainable Technologies, Omagh, Co Tyrone
- Frank Cooney, Cooney Architects | Commercial Retrofit Project
- Paul McNally, Ecological Architecture | Ecological Architecture Detailing for Clonmel Passivhaus Commercial Build
- John Morehead, Wain Morehead Architects | The Garden Still House, Midleton Distillery, Cork
- Patrick Lloyd, Peter Legge Associates | Domestic Project
- Joseph Little – Joseph Little Architects
10.45 Questions & Answers
11.00 Coffee and Tour of Trade Exhibition
11.30 Parallel Sessions (All sessions will run to similar timetables which will allow delegates to move between presentations. All sessions will have individual Q&A at end):
- Lee Corcoran, DIT Dublin Energy Lab | Hygrothermal performance of four typical timber framed walls in a temperate maritime climate
- Trevor Hickey, University of Limerick | Developing educational resources for teaching; Passivhaus concepts in the Irish context
- Angela Werdenich, iPHA | The EuroPHit Project
- Miguel Ramirez, University of Ulster | The EINSTEIN Project
- Michael Hanratty, Energy Action | The Tabula Project
2. Low Energy Houses – Frequently Asked Questions!
Chair Archie O’Donnell
- Andrew Lundberg, DIT | Does thermal bridge detailing really matter?
- Andrew Treacy, Versatile | Do low energy houses with heat recovery ventilation feel stuffy?
- Ross Cremin, Passivelab | Are passive homes more expensive than conventional?
- Seamus Kiernan, Heating Distributers | Can I have a stove or an open fire in a passive house?
- Gary / Brendan Carroll, Episensor | How do you know if a building matches the label?
3. Post Occupancy Evaluation
Chair John Morehead
- Simon McGuinness, Dublin School of Architecture | Building science and nZEB
- Lars Pettersson, Scandinavian Homes | Renovation with passive ambitions
- Peter Keig, University of Ulster | PHPP versus recorded results for a low energy retrofit
- Maurice Falvey, Nilan | Results from two years monitoring of a Passive House located in Kerry
- Francis Clauson, Owner – Passive House Wexford and Zeno Winkens, Architect – Winkens Architecture | The First year in an A1 rated Passive House
13.00 Lunch / Exhibition
13.35 Lunch Time Presentation: Passive Passion (21 min. documentary shown at the Architecture and Design Film Festival New York 2011)
14.40 Featured Projects:
- Bord Gais Networks Services Centre – read more (Edith Blennerhassett, Engineering Environments) RIAI Best Sustainable Project 2013
- Award Winning Dwelling, Scotland (Kirsty Maguire, Kirsty Maguire Architect Ltd)
15.15 Questions & Answers
15.40 Plenary Session: (Chairperson: Frank McDonald)
16.55 Closing Remarks (Martin Murray, PHAI Chairman)
17.00 Drinks Reception and a ‘Passive Gathering’